Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I Dream of Pumpkie

The other night, I went to sleep on what was by all accounts a pretty normal night…I don’t even think I had a glass of wine before bed! Anyway, while I slept I had a rather interesting dream.
I dreamt I was at our restaurant, running between stations and trying to make a Pumpkin & Cheddar soup while the orders kept piling up. No matter how quickly I worked, it didn’t seem to matter the tickets came out faster and faster…and everyone seemed to be ordering soup. Worse yet, for some reason I had to make every bowl of soup from scratch. Now, for those of you that don’t know, I'd say probably ninety-seven percent of the restaurants out there do not cook your food to order from scratch; it’s just too hard. Not to mention, most people don’t want to wait forty-five minutes for someone to boil and then mash their potatoes.
I’m sure everyone has had this dream, where they’re at work and nothing goes right; naked, computer crashes, trying to cook with no hands, &c…or maybe they haven’t. I’m pretty sure though, that at one point or another, every cook has had a nightmare where they’re in the weeds and there’s nothing they can do to get out (being in the weeds is when your station gets hit with a large number of orders and you get behind, slowing down the entire kitchen. It happens to everyone and the best you can hope for is to put your nose down and stat cranking out plates). Anyway, nothing was working out for me, but instead of being discouraged when I woke up the next morning, I was inspired. And all I’ve been able to think of has been making pumpkin and cheddar soup.
Since I was at a wedding this past weekend and had to go into the restaurant last night, I haven’t had a chance to make it yet. By the middle of next month, however; I will post a recipe for what I hope will be a fantastic pumpkin and cheddar soup…you’ve been put on notice.

3 comments:

preciousbeijing said...

yum yum pumpkin cheddar soup!!!

Unknown said...

any pie?

Elliott181 said...

Yeah, I could probably do some pumpkin pie. Although I was thinking of a pumpkin cheesecake.