Sunday, May 2, 2010

Famous Last Words


So I made a lair out of myself when I told you guys I was going to be more proactive about posting and keeping you appraised as to "what the fuck is goin's on?" So what the fuck is goin's on? I've started working the pass in addition to working my station; something I do four nights a week. In essence, my chef has taken it upon himself to cook one dish; one special; a night, and can no longer stand at the pass to finish or wipe down plates. Our other line cook is busy digging themselves out of the order-fire hell our servers have put them in, so that leaves me.
This means that when I used to just make dishes (at our ridiculously busy restaurant) and give them to our chef to finish; I now makes dishes (at our ridiculously busy restaurant), then bring them to the pass, then wipe them down and finish them, then call for hands so the servers can take them to the proper tables. Oh, and I also busy myself with marking and keeping track of all of our tickets (first course fired, first course out, second course fired, &c.). In all honesty, it's really not that difficult: a ticket comes out of the machine, it gets passed to me, I read it off, mark it with the table number, utilize my wonderfully photographic memory to keep track of everything on the ticket and then put it in its proper place on the board.
(I realize, by the way, that most of what I'm talking about: marking tickets, the pass, fired tickets, the whole steez, probably doesn’t make a lot of sense; and that's why I'm going to explain it all in a "Kitchen Venack" post soon.)
So as I said, it doesn't seem like much, but when the restaurant is slammed and there are ten tickets hanging, with either first or second courses being prepared and I'm making some of those first or second courses; it gets a little tough to take the extra few seconds to wipe down or finish a plate or wait for a server to come collect the plates and tell them where to go, or fire the main courses on a certain table...hell, for that matter, to remember how long ago the first courses went out and either fire the second courses myself or seek out the server to see if those second courses can be fired.
I'm not complaining, or trying to make it seem like I'm a big deal because I'm handling the responsibility that I am; I'm just saying that's why you haven't heard from me. But I'm hoping that in the future, you'll be hearing a lot more out of me; hell, I still haven't told you about my crazy sandwiches or my sick, twisted love affair with Durian.

What's on My Mind This Week?:
I'm still pissed about the teammates thing on the first episode of Season 2 of Top Chef Masters. In my humble opinion, Jimmy Bradley and Govind Armstrong would have fared much better separately than they did together. That, and obviously Sam Sifton is still doling stars out like a subway preacher giving unwanted advice. Oh, and I think I'd like to make Steak & Kidney Pie...even though no one I know would ever entertain eating it.

No comments: