Thursday, November 5, 2009

Ditch the Dog, Keep the Baby


This is just a quick little rant because it’s been a while since I’ve posted something and I’ve got a couple things in the hopper, including a piece about Thanksgiving. But until then, let’s talk about dogs and babies.

About a year ago towards the end of brunch service Dopp and I were standing around looking out at the floor while I cleaned up and seasoned a 30 pound beef shoulder to make a Pot Roast. The couple walked by with a big shaggy dog, looked at the menu box and walked inside. Dopp and I shot the two of them a look that said, “maybe you and your shaggy dog should turn around and go back where you came.”

Look, I’m no Mike Vick; I love dogs and Dopp has two that he used to walk during family meal. But when your dog walks into a place that’s serving food and around people eating, that’s no bueno. So lucky for us, and the couple in question, they left before Dopp and I had to get all “spicy” on them and ask them to leave. But they came back…with a crying baby in tow.

Anyway, I was checking out something on Yelp the other day and read this two star review of a place that I’m not particularly fond of. This chick complained that they made her “tiny Chihuahua sit outside the fence” and that “they didn’t even give our dog a bowl of water!!!!!” Well, heavens to Betsy, they didn’t give Fido a bowl of water? How shameful! Look, it is not the responsibility of a restaurant to provide your doggie with water, when in all likelihood they’re doing you a favour letting your dog in, in the first place. I mean, if you bring a baby to a restaurant, you’re probably going to bring some baby food, right? Are you going to get upset when the waiter doesn’t ask the kitchen for some mashed apples and warm milk? In short, please, leave the mutt at home.

No comments: