Sunday, September 27, 2009

I’m Oxidized Metal These Days…


So I’ve been cooking with my buddy Dopp recently, getting a project of his off the ground. The difference, or one of the differences is that this time I’ll be working in the kitchen as opposed to simply designing the menu. It’s been a while since Dopp and I have been in a kitchen together, equally motivating and giving each other hell. We’re at the recipe testing stage, so there isn’t necessarily the sense of urgency that comes with a busy Saturday night; but that doesn’t mean the food still can’t taste good.
But the other day, Dopp was watching me small dice some jalapeno for some Jalapeno-Sweet Corn Fritters and said, “man, just how rusty are you?” And you know what? I am rusty. I’m out of practice and it pisses me off. For the better part of 90 days, I was researching recipes, testing them and looking into buying kitchen equipment, supervising workers and doing about a dozen other things.
Now, I’m not making excuses. It’s my own damn fault. Cooking, like anything else is a skill and like all skills you need to keep them up and practice them, so you don’t regress. The funny thing is that I think since Dopp and I were last together in the kitchen, my food-knowledge has grown, my palette has improved and System D skills are in top form. But I’ve let myself get complacent and that’s unacceptable.
When I got into this business, I didn’t just want to be good. I wanted to be better, hell I wanted to be the best. I got to where I am through a combination of skill and some lucky breaks. But I was able to capitalize on those lucky breaks because of my skill and when I was designing a menu for a place I forgot that.
Well, that changes today. I’m picking up onions, carrots and potatoes and having myself a little Knife-skills Workshop in my kitchen. The one good thing about me is that the motivation I need is directly related to someone telling me I can’t do something or getting called out for not living up to my potential. So I’m putting Dopp in notice…come tomorrow, I’m going to rock out with my Santoku out!